Yes I have! I visited there on a road trip a while ago, in 2009. I thought it was funny that the sign said "City Limit" instead of "Unincorporated" when there's not much there! Here's my pictures. https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15488455621/in/set-72157648174675939 https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491251292/in/set-72157648174675939/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491250832/in/set-72157648174675939/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491250832/in/set-72157648174675939/
If I remember my Kansas History course back in the early 1960's, a group of occupied houses could register as a "city" with as few as 100 permanent occupants.
I've been there recently. I seek out ghost towns in my spare time.I dont know how to post pics on this site. I took some pics. Theirs only a few abandoned houses,other than that it is very kept up and clean.
I believe that my dad was born there August 1, 1922. He grew up just northwest of Larned, Kansas in Pawnee county. Can anyone give me more information about Redwing (for my family history). I would really appreciate it. OldKStater@gmail.com for e-mail.
Yes I have! I visited there on a road trip a while ago, in 2009. I thought it was funny that the sign said "City Limit" instead of "Unincorporated" when there's not much there! Here's my pictures.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15488455621/in/set-72157648174675939
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491251292/in/set-72157648174675939/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491250832/in/set-72157648174675939/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansasghosttownhunter/15491250832/in/set-72157648174675939/
If I remember my Kansas History course back in the early 1960's, a group of occupied houses could register as a "city" with as few as 100 permanent occupants.
DeleteThanks Matthew! I'll check these out. I need to find a good source on the history, too, if you know anyone.
ReplyDeleteThere used to be a cool bar there when I was in school at Barton County
ReplyDeleteyea! I was there in 1968 for a brew. Is it still there?
Deletenealharrison@cox.net
My mother was born on a farm not far from there and I lived in Redwing as a very young child.
ReplyDeleteI've been there recently. I seek out ghost towns in my spare time.I dont know how to post pics on this site. I took some pics. Theirs only a few abandoned houses,other than that it is very kept up and clean.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to hear the history of Red Wing.
ReplyDeleteMy family came from Redwing. Reifs. I wonder if there are any left in the area.
ReplyDeleteAs far as I could determine this is the closest town/settlement to the geographic center of Kansas which lies at 98°14.9' W 38° 29.9' N
ReplyDeleteI believe that my dad was born there August 1, 1922. He grew up just northwest of Larned, Kansas in Pawnee county. Can anyone give me more information about Redwing (for my family history). I would really appreciate it. OldKStater@gmail.com for e-mail.
ReplyDelete